Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Embellishing a Summer Hat Tutorial

Last week I had the opportunity to visit with my sister and her family.  My niece was sporting this adorable cap and looking so cute and fresh.  This seemed like the perfect time to do a tutorial on embellishing an inexpensive hat and giving it that boutique look.

You'll need a few things to get started...

Tools & Supplies:
* Purchased Hat (I got mine at Target for $10)
·        * Fabric scraps
·         *Thread that matches
·        * Rotary Cutter and mat
·         *Hand sewing needles and thimble (you’ll thank me later)
·         *Straight Pins
·        * Unique Stitch Fabric Glue (Optional)
* Button (Optional)

Equipment:
·         *Sewing Machine
*=  * Iron and Ironing Board
       
G    GETTING STARTED:
  T
STEP 1.
Fold your fabric scraps with selvages matching. Using your rotary cutter and mat, cut a strip of fabric that is 2”x 45”.   (Hint:  No rotary cutter and mat…you can use a yardstick and water soluble marker to mark your fabric and then cut with scissors.)

If you desire a flower cluster, cut 3 strips for 3 flowers.

       STEP 2.
       On the short end of your fabric strip, fold in approximately 1/4” and press in place with your steam iron.

      
      STEP 3.
      With wrong sides together, fold the entire strip in half lengthwise and press with steam iron.

      
      STEP 4.
Set your sewing machine to the longest stitch length (usually 5 mm).  Using your presser foot as a guide, stitch along the folded edge, the entire length of the fabric strip.  Be sure to leave yourself long thread tails for gathering.  **Do not back stitch at beginning and end.



STEP 5.
Gather the fabric strip by pulling the bobbin thread until the strip is about 22”.  Your fabric strip may try to curl and twist; this is normal.  Straighten it out and adjust the gathers. 

STEP 6.
Pull out your hand sewing needle and thimble.  Thread the needle with matching thread.  (Hint:  Double your thread, but knot thread-ends separately.  This will prevent your thread from knotting up while hand sewing)  


STEP 7.
With folded edge towards the inside, begin slowly rolling up your fabric strip.  Take a stitch or two, roll inwards, take a stitch or two…continuing until the entire strip is rolled and stitched.


This is what the back of your finished flower should look like.  Notice how it is just hand-sewn back and forth as I was rolling the flower.


Here's the front; notice how the shape softens as it is handled.


Continue working the edges of the flower until you get the desired shape.



I've attached my flower to hat by hand sewing it on.  I added the button for a little extra fun!


One option for attaching your flower is to use a safety pin which will allow you to remove the flower for washing.  My favorite thing to attach with is Unique Stitch Fabric Glue.  If you use this product, remember to allow it to dry for 24 hours AND never try to pull it off...you will tear you hat!

Enjoy!

post signature

4 comments:

Megan said...

I wish I looked good in hats because these are so cute!

megan
craftycpa.blogspot.com

Janet said...

I love your flower with the button in the center, fun!

Leslie said...

I intend to add a couple more flowers to make it more like my nieces hat!

Lizard Rae said...

I have two hats just like this one sitting in my craft box for a project like this. I just wasn't sure how to do it - now I know! Thanks for sharing!!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...