If you can't grow okra in the summer then something's wrong...sad, sad, sad...we really need rain. So, I went and picked the saddest little okras (is that even a word) and decided to make my favorite fried okra.
Pit-e-ful! I had to toss those two ugly ones. Not much okra left if you want to have it with your dinner. Even if you hate okra, you'll love this, I promise!
So, I pulled out my son-in-law's Memaw's fried okra patty recipe. I'm renaming it since it is now gluten-free...
Leslie's Gluten-Free Fried Okra Patties
1 C. Okra cut into medium-sized pieces
1 Medium Onion
1 Clove Garlic
1 C. Bob's Red Mill All Purpose Gluten-Free Flour (or regular if you don't need it GF)
1 C. Cornmeal
1 t. Salt
1 t. Baking Powder
1/8 t. Cayenne (or 1/4 t. Black Pepper)
1/2 t. Xanthum Gum (only for GF)
1 Egg
1 C. Water
Next, all you need to do is toss everything into a mini food processor. Give it a few pulses until it looks like this. If you don't have a mini-prep, then start choppin'.
Next, heat up some oil in a frying pan. With this recipe I make a 50/50 mix of ghee and coconut oil. It is pure heaven. If you prefer a milder taste then canola oil works just fine.
Drop large spoonfuls of the okra into the hot oil. Let it brown on one side, then turn it and let it cook on the other side. I usually mash it a bit with a fork when it's frying.
Lastly, pull them out of the frying pan and onto the paper towel (to drain). We love to dip them in Tzatziki Sauce or ketchup (not at the same time-that would be gross). Either is delicious.
Enjoy,





No comments:
Post a Comment