Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Pattern Review Weekend


It's no secret that sewing is one of my lifelong passions.  I'm also a sucker for any type of class or event that puts me around really talented sewers.  Well, this past weekend I had the opportunity to attend patternreview.com's PR Weekend here in Austin.   It was a little learning, a few workshops and a lot of fabric shopping.  I was able to worm my way into a pants-fitting workshop and I will be writing about this when I start making pants that fit (Oh happy day!). 

While pants fitting can be humiliating exhilarating, I was really impressed when I discovered two local fabric haunts that I did even know existed.  The first, The Common Thread, is just south of downtown and totally local.  The owner has a variety of drool-worthy fabrics,  a nice collection of boutique patterns and the most unbelievable collection of trims that are sure to make my wallet fly open and start flinging money.  One word to sum this place up:  Classy.

The other fabric store, TexStyles, is a little more on the Keep Austin Weird side.  This ain't your she-she craft and fabric store.  They don't have a website (yet), they have irregular hours (so call first), and it is run by two guys. They don't even have a cash register.   How-ev-er, don't let any of these things put you off.  Hands down, this place has the most amazing collection of fabrics I have ever seen.  The kind of stuff you see in high-end stores.  They go to Los Angeles and buy bolt-ends from designer collections AND if you tell them what you are looking for...they will get it on their next shopping trip.  Glory be...I have found the Fabric Promise Land.

The last workshop was a conversation with Mary Margaret Quadlander who runs the Austin School of Fashion Design.   Now, I have seen this place on Congress Ave. but never knew anything about it.  It's not in a fancy building, the parking lot is wonky, and the sign outside is a wee bit shabby so I just dismissed it.  Boy, was I wrong.  If I actually desired to be a fashion designer, I could learn everything I need to know by seriously experienced teachers.   I cannot wait to start taking a few classes in January.

There will be more conversations about this....

post signature

1 comment:

Kyle said...

I enjoyed meeting you! Loved what you wrote about ASFD. I honestly thought we were going to a college campus, not a strip mall. :) And if I lived in Austin I would spend all my money at TexStyles!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...