(Notice I am in sleeveless and in flip flops on Dec. 2nd ~ ya’ gotta love Texas weather!)
Here’s what I did ~
For my pattern, I used Jalie 2908. It is designed for stretch denim and the pattern suggests you use a denim with 4% stretch. I used a denim with 2% stretch and my jeans don’t get overly stretched out when I wear them.
If you’re not familiar with Jalie patterns, they are out of Quebec. I purchased mine through Fabric.com. It cost me $12.99, however, it includes every size I’ve ever been and a few sizes I’ve yet to reach.
See the child on the pattern cover; her size is included in the pattern, too.
That means I had to sort through 27 different sizes in order to identify mine.
I used my hip measurements to choose my size and, by golly, after a few adjustments, it was spot-on.
Did I mention the pattern has 27 different sizes, from a child all the way up to my nothing-anywhere-close-to-the-model size.
The pattern is really crazy with all of the sizes printed on the two large sheets.
In order to decipher my size from a child’s, I took a colored pencil and traced over the lines in my size.
Instead of cutting out the pattern from the pattern sheet, I wanted to preserve all of the sizes for future jeans.
To do this, I had to trace my pattern onto a pattern paper. A while back I had purchased Swedish tracing paper here. Tissue paper works, too. So does medical exam paper.
The other thing I used was a heavy duty, waxy tracing paper that I got in massive quantities here.
To trace my pattern, I laid my Swedish tracing paper onto my cutting table, put the waxy tracing paper (from Richard the Thread) face down, and then put the pattern on top.
I have a piece of cork stuck onto my cutting table; this allows me to pin the pattern in place with push pins. Cans of soup or pattern weights will work well too.
I took a needle-point tracing wheel and traced over my colored pencil markings.
While all of these steps may seem tedious, they really paid off when I went to cut out my fabric.
And, it was a cinch to make a few minor adjustments for my second pair of jeans.
I'm dubbing this week {unofficially} Jeans Making Week.
During this week I will show more of the process I went through while making a second pair of jeans.
Until then ~







3 comments:
They look great. Congratulations. I look forward to seeing your process.
"it includes every size I’ve ever been and a few sizes I’ve yet to reach." That made me laugh out loud!!!
They look great and am eager to see the back pockets!!
Your jeans look wonderful. I've had this pattern for the longest time but have yet to make it. It's getting the fit right that scares me.
I love your Texan winter outfit. Ours (in Queensland, Australia) is much the same when Winter rolls around.
Post a Comment