Since school is back in session, I have been taking some classes. Here's the skinny...
Class #1: I recently attended something called the Anita Goodesign Event. It was an event featuring Babylock embroidery machines and (you guessed it ) Anita Goodesign embroidery designs.
My main reason for attending...they provide all of the machines and I wanted to try embroidering on a 10-thread light commercial embroidery machine.
Time well spent...I don't think I need a 10-thread embroidery machine...but that wasn't my real epiphany! I was at a table with 11 other women when I noticed that almost all of them outweighed me by 100 lbs. (and I ain't no string bean, either). I looked around the room...you guessed it...a disproportionate amount of these sewing women were easily 100-200 lbs. overweight! The future of sewing is at risk!!!! Pardon me while I step out and run a marathon...
Class #2: This class is part of a series on how to make a fitted shell that can be used to correctly fit garments.
This is, by far, one of the most productive classes I have ever taken.
Using Butterick B5627, we took measurements and then applied them to the pattern pieces. This required putting little sticky stars on some very personal body parts (think pasties) and having
Our teacher, the lovely Ms. Tina Sparkles of Little Green Dresses fame, shared her extensive knowledge and experience. Here's what I learned: I now know why my pattern adjustments never, ever, ever worked...you can't just add an inch to the side seams. I needed, two inches...ouch!
Humiliation aside (I had to wear stretch pants in public - does it get any more embarrassing), I now have a better understanding of the whole fitted shell concept. But, the real winners will be my customers because all of this
new information will now begin showing up in my tutorials and patterns.
Changing the subject entirely...get ready for a new look. I am redesigning my blog, so next time you stop by you may notice a few


No comments:
Post a Comment