Saturday, June 9, 2012

In a Pickle

In sunny Austin it’s harvest time! In my garden a lot of things get picked and eaten within a day or two.  I’m talking tomatoes, bell peppers, okra, green beans, chard, onions and soon-to-be figs.
  
However, this year’s rains created a bumper crop of cucumbers.  Which I wouldn’t want to eat in a day or two.  What’s a gardening gal to do…make pickles, of course.

1
Lately, I’ve been studying up on traditional fermentation methods.  I had planned to use these ancient methods because they are so full of beneficial nutrients. However, gathering ingredients {anyone have a horseradish leaf?} became an uphill battle. Scrap that for now.

Instead, I decided to take the simple route.  Thank goodness for Mrs. Wages.  So easy anyone can do it.  Just follow the directions on the back of the package.

3
And you get pickles.  No garden.  No problem. Most local grocery stores carry seasonal pickling cucumbers in their produce section.

So, what I am trying to say is this:  Making pickles can be simple.  And rewarding.  And doesn’t require a garden.

6
Now, I do have a confession to make.  I have occasionally neglected my cucumbers in the garden.  This is the result…

4
Notice the one on the left – see how it is somewhat flattened.  It was growing between the fencepost and the fence board.

And, I’m not alone in my cucumber neglect.  I snapped this picture at the San Antonio Botanical Gardens.  Even an entire gardening staff couldn’t keep up with the cucumbers.

5
Where veggie gardening is concerned, you win some and you lose some.  Daily, I deal with limited water, squirrels, birds, raccoons, insects, and {at least for me} time.  It is amazing I get one tomato a year.

So, an occasional weird veggie is par for the course.  I can usually think of other uses for veggie disasters.  For instance, these teenage mutant ninja cucumbers will be used for target practice.
Photobucket

1 comment:

Joyness Sparkles said...

Oh you are so lucky! I lost all my cucumbers this season. Some kind of worm... I have had to purchase my pickles and they sure don't have the flavor that MY pickles do. Congrats on your crop!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...